- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can tomato soup
- 2-3 bay leaves
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, brown beef; drain (but leave a little bit of fat to flavour your broth.
- Over medium heat add onion, potatoes celery, and carrots. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and bring to a boil.
- Cover with a lid and let simmer over medium low heat for a minimum of 45 minutes, stirring regularly to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom.
That's it... that's all! Serve with fresh bread and butter for dunking. Serves 6.