The list of top 50 amateur home cooks includes a chemical engineer & stay-at-home mom from Oakville
TORONTO, Dec. 9, 2013 /CNW/ – CTV announced today the list of Top 50 MASTERCHEF CANADA home cooks, culled from the thousands of applicants from across the country. In this nail-biting audition process, home cooks from across Canada put their best dish forward for a chance to continue on the homegrown edition of one of the most successful primetime entertainment formats in the world. CTV also announced today the grand prize these home cooks are vying for: the MasterChef Canada title and a $100,000 cash prize to help make their culinary dreams come true. MASTERCHEF CANADA airs Mondays at 8 p.m./7 p.m. CT beginning Jan. 20 on CTV and CTV GO.
“We searched the country and are confident these Top 50 home cooks are the best this country has to offer,” said Phil King, President, CTV Programming and Sports. “The production team selected amateur chefs of all ages and vocations who are ready to showcase their passion, talent, and drive as they cook for the right to be the first-ever Canadian MasterChef.”
As home cooks enter the final phases of the audition process for a coveted white MasterChef apron, in the premiere episode (Monday, Jan. 20 at 8 p.m./7 p.m. CT), each home cook must present their signature dish to esteemed judges Michael Bonacini, Alvin Leung, and Claudio Aprile. As friends and family cheer on the amateur cooks, only those with the most impressive dishes will be given the opportunity to move forward in the competition. The Top 50 home cooks competing for the first-ever MASTERCHEF CANADA title and $100,000 cash prize are:
- Allison Abernethy, Business Student – New Minas, N.S.
- Andrew Lawton, Political Commentator and Radio Personality – Toronto
- Ashley Alexander, Science Student – Toronto
- Ben Miner, Stand-up Comedian – Ottawa
- Billie-Jo Picco, Licensed Practical Nurse – Mount Pearl, N.L.
- Bram Llewellyn, Banker – Toronto
- Brooke Feldman, Makeup Artist – York, Ont.
- Carly Tennant, Retail Clothing Store Owner – Langley, B.C.
- Carmela Campolargo, Stay-at-Home Mom – King City, Ont.
- Chris Ward, Custom Home Builder – Breslau, Ont.
- Christina Menchenton, Retail Management – Toronto
- Dale Kuda, Housekeeper and Business Owner – Toronto
- Danielle Cardozo, Employment Development Officer – Cranbrook, B.C.
- Danny Raposo – Brampton, Ont.
- Dina Van Koeverden, Opera Singer – Ottawa
- Dora Cote, Plumber – Rocky Mountain House, Alta.
- Eric Chong, Chemical Engineer – Oakville, Ont.
- Evan Ouaknine, Transportation Sales & Development – Montreal, Que.
- Fabian Suckoo, Merchandiser – Calgary, Alta.
- Geoff Johnson, Division Manager – Toronto
- Jason Mayo, High School Teacher – Jarvis, Ont.
- John Chung Yin Leung, Radio Operator – Calgary, Alta.
- Jordan Casey, Financial Service Representative – Amherstview, Ont.
- Jose Mosselli, Flooring Sales – Hamilton, Ont.
- Josh Gale, IT Sales – Vancouver
- JP Lessard, Wine Representative – Irricana, Alta.
- Julie Miguel, Bankruptcy Analyst – Woodbridge, Ont.
- Kaila Klassen, Realtor – West Kelowna, B.C.
- Kelly Rothschild, Tattoo Artist – Toronto
- Marida Mohammed, Stay-at-Home Mom – Toronto
- Maryam Chashnidel, Immigration Consultant – Vaughan, Ont.
- Meghan Toth, Stay-at-Home Mom – St. Catharines, Ont.
- Mike Green, Freelance Food Journalist – Winnipeg, Man.
- Mike Hamilton, Autoworker – Mississauga, Ont.
- Mylene Facchini, Hair Stylist and Zumba Instructor – Whitby, Ont.
- Narida Mohammed – Toronto
- Natalie Mascia, Dental Office Administrator – Niagara Falls, Ont.
- Natalya Demberg, Banking Strategist – Toronto
- Patrick Stansfield, Entrepreneur – Vancouver
- Peter “Bubba” Smith, Sales Manager – Calgary, Alta.
- Pino Di Cerbo, Stay-at-Home Dad – Mississauga, Ont.
- Ryan Wright, Chemist – Winnipeg, Man.
- Rob Slivchak, Web Developer – Toronto
- Sarah Nguyen, Stay-at-Home Mom – Oakville, Ont.
- Shane Ereaut, Canadian Armed Forces – Kanata, Ont.
- Soujanya Arlikatti, HR Professional – Thornhill, Ont.
- Sparkle Davis, Social Worker – Ottawa
- Tammara Behl, Special Needs Teacher – Calgary
- Trevor Jessome, Royal Canadian Forces – Lahave, N.S.
- Vicky Rodden, Library Assistant – Haliburton, Ont.
About the Oakville Contestants:
Occupation: Chemical Engineer
Currently Resides: Oakville, Ont.
Signature Dish: Pan seared Duck breast with rice, red thai curry sauce, homemade spring rolls and plum sauce
Eric is motivated to be the best chef he can be, especially since his parents disapprove of his cooking dream. Having an Asian background, Eric has extensive knowledge of Asian cooking, taught to him by his grandfather. Eric doesn’t just want to be a chef, he wants to be famous for it, and he believes that he has the ability and knowledge to make this happen.
Occupation: Stay-at-Home Mom
Currently Resides: Oakville, Ont.
Signature Dish: Red Snapper with Tamarind Sauce on coconut rice with sauteed vegetables
Sarah is a creative mother of two who is extremely inventive in the kitchen. She grew up in Vietnam, escaping the war with her family to a refugee camp in Hong Kong where she lived for five years. Sarah’s greatest ambition is to expose the younger generation to the importance of cooking and would like to one day teach kids how to make healthy, easy meals.
See CTV.ca/MasterChefCanada/Top50 for additional details on the Top 50 competitors.