(NC)—Earth Day (April 22) is a reminder about the importance of respecting our environment and doing all we can to protect our planet. Every year, over six million Canadians take part in Earth Day by doing simple things such as riding their bikes to work or using candles at night. This year show how important the environment is by pledging an act of green.
Here, in your own home, are some ways to take part in the world’s most celebrated environmental event. These tips are environmentally friendly and will save you money on your energy bills:
• Cool down your house with a ceiling or electric fan and open up the windows at night. Ceiling fans cost about 1 cent for two hours of use, compared to 67 cents to a dollar for central air. Use your AC only when necessary and be sure to turn it off when you’re going to be away from home long periods of time.
• Invest in a programmable thermostat. It will automatically adjust the temperature in your house, saving you energy while you’re away or sleeping.
• Use insulation with a high R-value, such as Roxul RockFill, which can be used to increase insulation in your attic. It will keep your house cool in the warm weather and take the stress off your air conditioning unit.
• Check the tightness of your refrigerator seal by closing the door on a piece of paper. If it’s held in place, the seal is still good, if not, it’s time to replace the seal or fix the door’s alignment.
• Only do laundry when you have full loads. If you have smaller loads, make sure to use the correct settings and if you only have a couple of items, wait it out or wash them by hand.